Affordability Analysis and Housing Finance Model Development for Pro-Poor Slum Integration Project (PPSIP)
Funded by the World Bank
The Government of Bangladesh initiated a project titled “Pro-Poor Slum Integration Project (PPSIP)” aimed at improving housing and security of tenure of poor urban communities across the country. This is going to be a demonstration program implemented by the National Housing Authority (NHA) with the financial support from the World Bank (WB). The consultancy support is being provided by a joint venture of BRAC University, BRAC, Manchester University, J.A. Architects Ltd. and K M Consultants Ltd.
PPSIP took several types of community driven housing solutions in urban slums and other informal settlements in Bangladesh. Several experts from diverse background, including community architects, engineers, environment specialists, resettlement experts, social development professionals are collaborating in the project.
CED, BRAC University worked as a Housing Finance Specialist (HFS) for affordability analysis for Sirajganj and Comilla Community. The Housing Finance Specialist mostly worked on identifying pro-poor innovations in financial system and sharing best practice lessons relevant to the project. HFS developed a suitable financial mechanism that helps implementation of PPSIP, ensuring participation from different stakeholders, especially targeted urban poor.
Duties and Responsibilities of Specialist:
– Developed and proposed tools of an appropriate financial system for implementation of the project (PPSIP) incorporating the pro-poor communities to meet their requirements and affordability, also of the National Housing Authority (NHA) and The World Bank at central level
– Assisted formulating a long term perspective about the project finance (building cost and maintenance cost), and thereby design saving schemes, payment systems, grace periods, etc. accordingly
– Devised a training method targeting the community and the Consultants team for an efficient social and financial management, such as disbursement and repayment of loan as per NHA procedure and guideline
– Attended and participated in project meetings and give input to housing finance related matters
– Visited the sites, offer feedback and keep regular communication with related field and central level staff, if required.
– Organized housing finance workshop in Comilla and Sirajganj community.